Thursday, August 7, 2008

Egypt

Overall, Egypt was my least favorite port. The city was incredibly, incredibly dirty (we even saw a dead horse in the canal!) and having to to wear long pants and long sleeves in 120 degree heat is uncomfortable. The taxis were crazy and terrifying at first - I swear we almost killed dozens of people! - but I got used to them by the end. I did an SAS sponsored trip that took us to Cairo, but I didn't know anyone on my trip, so I think that influenced the fun-factor a bit. 
However, I got to go to the pyramids, the sphinx (which is considerably smaller than I expected), the ziggurat/mastaba (the 5000 year old one with hieroglyphs and paint still inside), the bazaar, and the library of Alexandria (which, despite being the "oldest" library in the world, is a a modern building that just sits on the site of the actual library of Alexandria. Disappointing!). The pyramids were pretty cool - I got to go in one and it was so scary! The steps going in are really steep and you have to bend over halfway to walk through the tunnel, then finally you hit a landing and have to do the same thing going up. Then you hit a big empty room with a stone tomb (no elaborate decorations) inside. I pretty much looked around, then booked it out of there! For some reason I seemed to develop a fear of small, enclosed, underground spaces. The temple with the hieroglyphs was cool, but Egyptian art ceased to really interest me after second grade. The SAS trip that I did also took us out south of Cairo and we had a jeep safari in the desert and then rode camels. I liked the camel ride, but felt bad since the guides whipped them. : ( From what I hear, everyone else had a pretty good time, so I guess this is just another country that I'll have to come back to.
Also, I either incurred the curse of the mummies, or I shouldn't have eaten the Egyptian pancakes (they were a bit like sweet pizza dough, fried, with nuts and honey and fruit in them). Either way, I got food poisoning (and sun stroke, but I doubt the pancakes caused that) that kept me inside for two days in Greece.

No comments: